Sunday, February 12, 2017

Visiting Parndon Mills

After Parndon Mill series of 9 matted fused plastic collages (A6 )

Pamela Yeend and I went with Jane Lewis to Parndon Mill on Friday.  http://www.parndonmill.co.uk/gallery/current-exhibition-gallery
Jane Lewis and Caroline Fish have a show that is on now and I wasn't able to go to the opening a few weeks ago, so I was delighted to get there.  Making the journey with two artists was perfect. Parndon Mill is in Harlow and it takes 1 1/2 hrs from Boxford, where Jane lives.  It was a long day, but wow was it worth it! Sally Anderson and Roger Lee, brought the place to life in the 60s and 70s and now it is both a gallery and studios for artists.  Caroline and Jane's work looks stunning together and the setting of the mill is beautiful too. If you live anywhere nearby, it is definately worth visiting, but hurry, the exhibition ends on the 19th of February.

Pamela, Jane and I went on to the Gibberd Gallery next.  There was an open on but the permanent collection was the draw.  It has an eclectic mix of some exciting work from the past. You can see some of it here: http://gibberdgallery.co.uk/index.php/collection/watercolours

After that we went to see Simon Carter's opening at the Minories - also inspiring. 

In response, yesterday I began a new project, the results are above.  Now that I have my own mat cutter, the opportunity to use fragments beckons! I think I am sending these out as mail art.  One thing I discovered was a way of creating Diebenkornesque whites using fused plastic, see the top left, after Parndon Mill IX. 




1 comment:

dan mouer said...

Gorgeous work, Rebecca! Fun, too.