|Library with Red Sarong - oil on six canvases 40 x 30cm each|
Painting these six canvases has been an interesting problem and coming back and forth to it for a week has been fun. When I composed the still life I thought about the composition of each of the panels so had done some of the work before I began. I knew quite a lot about the subject because I had made a big pastel drawing of it the week before. I only had to move things around a little as I worked.
In order to paint something so long I had to move it and myself lots, so my perspective was changing more than usual but I tried not to let that bother me, as long as it was believable. There were lots of patterns and how much to simplify, how true to the colours I saw I wanted them to be, and how to tie everything together in terms of colour, shape and value were the main problems.
I anticipated taking the pieces apart to work on the individual parts, but in the end I decided this time I wouldn't. Next time I will. That will be a different experiment. I am very curious to see what they look like framed individually next to each other,how that will change things, and I'm sure that will inform my next experiment.
A few days ago, when I was beginning to despair of the red, I started a new sketchbook and invented new colours, stood at a totally different angle and unwinded with my pastels.
|Hyacinths, Tulips and Daffodils|
So later today I'll pack up the still life and begin thinking about what comes next.