Thursday, August 3, 2017

6:30 Am Barn Door
What I noticed yesterday as I made four drawings (in between working at the fair and celebrating Katy and Jim's twentieth anniversary) was how different it feels to draw the bright summer sunlight and the flat light of the fog rolling in. The satisfaction of creating the feeling of light versus the joy of the colour and shape are really at the heart of why I like to draw and doing both at the same time, outside in a little book is a thrilling conundrum.

Astilbe and Path

Millstone Planter
I tend to avoid the complexity of abundant flowers when I choose a space to draw, but in this case those flowers define the space and finding a way to suggest the way they make me feel seems urgent. 

Red Barn and Boat

Uncle Chuck's Garden Now
No doubt as I commit myself to page after page, there will be some weaker drawings but I hope that even those will pin down what makes this holiday house what it is.
Squirrel and Bird


No comments: