Thursday, January 31, 2019

Record what interests you (quickly), consider it, make changes and slow down

Tiger at the Table, pastel on paper 30x37cm
 I'm keeping up with my sketchbook drawings.  What I notice is that the energy of looking for something interesting (because I have to) and recording it so it says something exciting QUICKLY is opening up lots of possibilities for more sustained drawings like the one above, Tiger at the Table. It's not always possible to transfer the energy and excitement that comes from an quick sketch, but I think there may be a better chance to find that when you are doing lots of the quick sketches and only choose the ones that feels particularly inspiring to inspire the bigger drawing.

I visited the wonderful, beautiful Bonnard at the TATE today with Bridget Moore.  We were there for more than 2 hours and it was never unpleasantly crowded, really.  How inspiring to be beside them all. SO much to think about.


Add caption


No comments: