Sunday, January 13, 2019

January objects and artifiical light

What I found in January, pastel on tinted paper 16 x 16cm
When I picked a little bouquet of what I had in the garden it occured to me that I wanted to make the shapes of the hellebores stand out from the background.  I have a cupboard in the studio with cloth (clothes and pieces of fabric) and most of it is pattered and highly coloured. I don't have many solids and I don't have any velvets. That was what I was hankering after.  When I started, the colours were actually quite light and punchy.  In the end I migrated towards local colour, although the colour and light were never the same yesterday and again this morning - they were  grey days and I needed to turn on the natural light lamp before long. This drawing was a puzzle and when I finally introduced the ceramic lemon squeezer for balance I felt I had found the January feel of stillness indoors, and had done as much as I could with this arrangement.

No comments: