Thursday, July 13, 2017

More portraits in pastel

Feven's new haircut, pastel on altered book page  14 x 20.5 cm

Grandson sits for pocket money, pastel on paper,  14.5 x 21 cm

I ran into Jane Lewis today and gave her a run down on what I am up to at the moment.  When I recounted what I have been doing I said that it was going to mess me up for a while before I could figure out how I could use all this learning to do something that feels like me.  I wondered when I'll come out the other side…

In my portrait group today I admitted to everyone that there is something satisfying about creating a recogniseable likeness - working tight. I just look and measure and reach for a few colours that translate what I see.  It feels different.  I am not struggling with the edge between figuaritve and abstract.  It's restful, not thrilling, though.

I wonder when I will come out the other side.

No comments: