Saturday, July 15, 2017

Apricots, Opaline and Petunias, Pastel on paper 17.5 x 17.5 

I got up this morning raring to pick some flowers and draw. (I also needed to dead head the roses.) I needed a hit of colour and I needed to draw something other than people. It has been a week of people. I drew the above for a little over an hour this morning.  I hadn't slept well because my head was so full of the art I'd seen in London.

In London yesterday I visited the Hokusai exhibition at the British Museum http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions/hokusai.aspx. It was crowded and dark but inpsired me in a number of ways. Apart from his art, Hokusai's attitude that he was getting better with age felt encouraging. Seeing the Rennaisance portraits at the National Portrait http://www.npg.org.uk/whatson/encounter/exhibition/ and the British Watercolours at the British Museum http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions/places_of_the_mind.aspx left me feeling inspired and quite overwhelmed by representation. Life drawing at the Mall Galleries was exciting but exhausting and my colourist side was aching to get out!

On Thursday I took four pieces to be considered for the Colchester Art Society's annual show.  On Thursday night I learned that all four had been accepted, including my (February) little altered sketchbook. I have this idea about altered sketchbooks and I want to progress it, but the first step was to get one of them seen.

Today was the opening of the Colchester Art Exhibition.  We arrived a little late and the speeches were in full flow. In fact they were just announcing the prizes.  Richard Stone, a renowned portrait painter, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stone_(painter) had chosen the winners.  Imagine my surprise when I was the bronze winner, for my little altered sketchbook. Richard had very encouraging words for me and I feel empowered in my little idea.

When I got home, I got right back to work on the drawing I'd started.  The two sides weren't working and I'd been background thinking that in Colchester,  so I changed things around and kept going.

No comments: