Friday, January 20, 2017

Blue Poppies, day two

Blue Poppies - day two, oil on canvas,  40 x 54 cm.
Today before I got back to work I looked and consulted some of my favourite painters: Bonnard, Manet, Matisse and then I looked at Philip Sutton.  Day two is always a tough day for me.  On day two, I have committed an idea and it's either going to get better or go flat. Perhaps it is 'day twos' that make me reach for my pastels or make a monotype instead. Sustaining a way of painting with sleeps in between is plain hard. I think some people are different but I never know what's going to happen.  The brushes, the colours, the ideas seem to exist in a parallel universe and I am certainly not their master. 

Now I need to scrape down the piece of glass.  I will probably paint some paper and then I'll wash my brushes for day three, or not.

No comments: