Thursday, January 19, 2017

Another angle another medium

It's a mistake to use a horizontal piece of paper when your image is vertical.  When I shifted to a larger format, I did not think about the orientation.  It just goes to show how away from things I have been… so, my second drawing, which was intended to be further away from my subject just got wider.  I mostly used the same pieces of pastel, so the first and second drawings are similar (look at the previous post).  I wanted to darken the space behind the opaline vase, so did get a few other blues out.

Christmas Rose in January II, pastel on paper, 26 x 18 cm
Today I got my oils out, chose a vertical canvas and stepped back. My idea was all about the foliage, to begin with but I inadvertently had some lavender shapes in the top third and I wondered about a few blue mecanopsis.  This is only the first day of painting, so I expect it will evolve further. I had shenanigans with my R & F paint sticks getting stuck but otherwise, it felt good to paint.
Blue Poppy and Christmas Rose, oil on canvas, 40 x 54 cm

No comments: