Sunday, November 6, 2016

Beginning the Radio 3 Series



I usually listen to Radio Three while I work. I don't know what's coming next and sometimes I actively try to ignore what is being played. When I lived in Kenya, I would listen to opera loudly on my walkman to block out the bugs that flew in my face as I drew.  I didn't listen to the music, it was more of a wall of sound to help me respond to what I saw.

I began these collages with two things in mind.  I wanted to combine fused plastic and paper in colour studies related to the music I was listening to. It was Bartok.  I worked on one piece of plastic and then cut 2 pieces of A6 from it as a starting point for the two collages. In the first collage, I chose my paper before I began fusing the paper. I wanted orange. In the second I found the paper later. There was quite a lot of serendipity in my process and pulling it all together was the challenge.

No comments: