Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Hellebores and China Value and Design

Hellebores and China, pastel on paper, 46 x 42 cm
It was good to spend the better part of two days working on a big pastel drawing. This arrangement was in response to a video I watched about design and value and the paramount importance of getting those two things right. As ever I struggled with how much to define, where to use my artistic license and when to stop. 

I've been wondering about what kinds of objects people want to look at and whether that even matters… in other words is it truly about the colour and shape? And will naming things detract or enhance the viewer's experience? Would it work better if that orb  ( a detail of the kimono) floating over the figurine's head was removed or is that shape interesting? What if the figurine had a differnt recognizeable face?

For me it all comes down to love. Can you feel the love, delight and story that got hold of me while I was working?

You can find the video that I mention above here: 
https://art2life.lpages.co/value-with-motivation-intro/

No comments: