Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Christmas Relics

This January once everyone was off to their own homes, I decided to find a selection of objects that evoked this Christmas. Every November I try to say something about the coming of Christmas for my Christmas card.  This year I wanted to punctuate the holiday season by paying tribute to the colours we associate with Christmas while developing my theme of objects in conversation at a moment in time. I used mostly newly acquired Christmas gifts and focused onthe colour RED.

I am trying to synthesise some of my NEAC artist advice.  I keep hearing this voice saying 'What are you trying to say'?  I ask myself, 'is it consistent'?  Is the painting - brush strokes, areas of detail, focus interesting enough but tied together and convincing. Am I using enough paint.  should I glaze or not glaze.  Do Ibegin by drawing or by blocking colours next to each other.  It's a minefield of my own making!  

I nearly quit many times and stopped when I felt I had the balance right on most levels. Red continues to be a difficult colour to use and why do I always make such patterned and complex set ups?

No comments: