Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Inspired by Degas and Becker


Light on shoulder, Monotype Akua intaglio on paper , 10 x 15cm

Light on Hip, Monotype Akua intaglio on paper  10 x 15cm

I am reading the book from the MOMA exhibit in NY, A Strange New Beauty, (which is a catalogue with essays about a show on Degas' monotypes) after receiving a postcard about the exhibit from a friend. I have always made monotypes this way but seeing Degas 'experiments' has made me want to explore my method and beyond anew. I used a toothbrush, a rag, Qtips and the back of my brush to make marks.  I forgot my brayer , my water bottle and my release agent when I went to my life drawing group so made do with what I had and rubbed the back of the paper with a wooden spoon.  I made a few other prints, but these were the most satisfying and successful.  They were both drawn 'backwards' so the resulting image is as I saw things.


Afternoon light on birdbath, Monotype Akua intaglio on paper with pastel, 10 x 15cm
In the afternoon, it was splattering with rain so I stood under the front porch with my plein air easel and my water-based ink.  I couldn't find the release agent (I have now) or the transparent base but I did have my brayer so I worked removing the black to indicate the light. I worked backwards and had to move the flower beds a bit closer than they really are to I could get it all on the plate. In the evening I added some pastel and returned to it today when there was a bit of sun.

I've joined a group: 'Inspired by Becker' http://ibbas.co.uk and want to make a seires of works capturing Suffolk light in the landscape with energetic marks.


No comments: