Monday, February 23, 2009

Transported objects











Sunday, with a headache and lots of activity all around.  I didn't really feel like drawing but knew that for once I had the time, so I should really make the most of it. I wandered around searching for a place that some of my objects would look natural in.  I wanted to create a still life that was incidental.

I got a bigger piece of (pear coloured) pastel paper than I had been using previously... 30X40cm and started composing with a blue Sakura nouvel pastel: CarrĂ©.  I guess some people are very intentional at this stage, but I frame the space a few times with my fingers and then don't really think.  What's interesting is that it wasn't until I had finished that I realised there is a white line through the middle of the horizon.  The decisions were not methodical.  The repetition of form just happened.  The jaunty tilted bowl felt right.

I think I feel satisfied with this drawing because it has the sense that I came upon the objects and was captivated by them.  What Bonnard calls the 'sudden revelatory process of perception'. Perhaps some would say it's in some way sentimental... bordering on insipid, but for me it is collection of familiar objects that are intrinsic to my life and let's face it I am a romantic. 

I meant to use a plate full of pastels I selected before I began drawing, but instead used the CarrĂ© pastels almost exclusively.  They are harder than the sort I gravitate towards normally. The robin's egg blue inside the bowl is a very soft Schminke.   Let's hope that when I look again at this that I still respond.  

2 comments:

Katy K said...

I like the idea of the objects traveling to different locations. Experiencing life. Of course I LOVE the drawing. I especially like the bowls being askew and the random sugar dish or teacup (can't tell) squeezed onto the shelf with the plates and bowls...trying to find a place. I think I will have time today to draw.

Unknown said...

You transported me into a world I know only through Rebbecca... A clarity of light first seen on your walls in Singapore and instantly felt in your work hanging in
Maine. The white line in the middle horizon brings a thundering order to a dreamy atmosphere......inspired!
Jackie