Sunday, February 22, 2009

Getting to know my objects

















I thought you might like to see the fun I have had with my objects.  I have an A4 (UK size- letter in the US, sort of) sketch book.  I have been drawing and then writing if something occurs to me, to record my ideas and feelings about the objects.  I might keep a book open nearby that I read a bit from to prime my mind as I draw.  This from (Berger, 1973 P7)
struck me recently:
'Seeing comes before words.  The child looks and recognizes before it can speak.  
But there is another sense in which seeing comes before words.  It is seeing which establishes our place in the surrounding world; we explain that world with words, but words can never undo the fact that we are surrounded by it.  The relation between what we see and what we know is never settled.'
I know that some of you have already begun to catalogue your objects.  So that my limited technological know-how isn't a barrier to sharing your images, until I work out how you can post images yourself here, if you send me any images I can post them for you.  
rebecca.guyver@btconnect.com
Molly and I have agreed that we are going to keep a mood diary of objects.  Exactly what that means is open for interpretation!  Today I have a headache, so that will be an interesting experiment!

No comments: