Monday, October 7, 2019

Rudbeckia Robin and Pumpkin, egg tempera on panel, 26 x 20 cm
I know it's autumn by the colours I see, the colour I am drawn to and the way it is that much darker all the time. I began his egg tempera over the weekend and worked a little more on it this afternoon once I returned from life drawing. I wanted to create the lush feeling of each of the objects and to situate them in an autumnal setting. I Love the work of Hosep Pushman https://elle-belle10.livejournal.com/1941548.html and although my work looks nothing like his, I think of it as I work, often.

As usual, I nearly gave up repeatedly.  I would ask myself: Why can't a create a feeling of equilibrium? Even though the vase isn't quite in the centre is it too much in the centre? Which hour of light do I want to settle on? Do those rudbeckia need to be just the way I see them? Why is a cake stand used as a fruit bowl so darned difficult to draw?

I thought I'd include a very early version so you can see how much I change as I go on… how loose I start and how bad at drawing I can be!

And above was what I was looking at until I added the orange on the right to help satisfy my wandering eye.

No comments: