Tuesday, February 26, 2013

How do I use life drawings?

The barrier of reproducing something REAL from a brief life-drawing experience has meant that I have avoided using my life drawing in my painting and printmaking work, except to get the gesture of a figure to use in a monotype.  Patrick thinks this is untapped territory. I think I am sensitive about being branded 'nostalgic' or 'romantic' too, so hundreds of sketches languish in folders and sketchbooks.  
But this morning I decided to try to put all that aside and to do something finished with a life drawing.  
I can still remember Keith Boyle, one of my painting teachers, and our discussion about my love of Bonnard.  He used the word 'decorative'. I suppose Mattise, Modigliani, Gaugin they might be branded with that same word. 

No comments: