Friday, September 16, 2016

The Palette of Autumn

From Porch to Weibels, 4 3/4 x 5 1/2" pastel on book page
The first thing I do when I begin is to compose the image with my hands. Sometimes I realise I need something more to make the composition interesting, or a colour to move my eye around.  This view was very green and I had prepared a book page that was slightly horizontal. What I wanted was something slightly portrait, so I began imagining how I could jiggle reality to make the compostion work but be believable. Then I went in to select something colourful to hang over the porch. 

I chose my colours after that, I ended up with 12 colours and white. I'm blending colours on the page more than I used to and I seem to be working a bit closer to the colours I see. You need yellow greens and reds at this time of year and that's fun to explore.

No comments: